8 DAYS – THE FORGOTTEN KINGDOM OF MRAUK-U
Discover the ancient kingdom of Mrauk-U before the crowds do!
The abandoned kingdom of Mrauk-U was lost for centuries, but is just being re-discovered. Wander this gem before the crowds arrive with the completion of a planned airport. Currently, unmarked pagodas rise above the jungle to dominate the skyline, tempting the imagination to a day when this kingdom was described as “the Venice of the East.”
Sleep in your own pagoda-inspired bungalow by the river, and enjoy amazing Burmese cuisine served with possibly the largest smiles you have ever seen.
Back in Yangon we’ll follow in the footsteps of the likes of Kipling and Orwell who both spent time here in the colonial days. We may sip a cocktail in a famous bar frequented by the authors as well!
- Historic Colonial hotel in Yangon
- Exploring abandoned pagodas
- Slow boat upriver to remote villages
- Boutique lodging in quiet Mrauk-U
- Shopping at colorful street markets
Quick Look Itinerary
DAY 1 Yangon – Arrive Yangon. Overnight.
DAY 2 Sittwe – Fly to Sittwe. Explore Sittwe. Free time on the beach.
DAY 3 Mrauk-U – Slow boat up-river to Mrauk-U. Explore Pagodas.
DAY 4 Mrauk-U – Visit the tattooed ladies of the Chin Tribe.
DAY 5 Mrauk-U – Explore Mrauk-U on bicycle.
DAY 6 Yangon – After a boat trip back to Sittwe, fly to Yangon.
DAY 7 – Yangon – Shwedagon Pagoda. Local shopping bazaar.
DAY 8 – Depart – Option for direct flight to either Bangkok or Kathmandu.
Spend a couple days in sunny Thailand, or hop over to Nepal for a taste of the Himalaya as long as you are in this corner of the world. Ask me about the options, and I’ll be happy to help you set up a trip extension.
PRICING & WHAT’S INCLUDED
$2,995 per person
- Airport transfers
- All in-country transportation
- 7 nights delightful lodging
- All breakfasts
- Domestic Flights: Yangon – Sittwe and return
- Entrance fees for all listed sights
- Eli as personal Trip Leader and Cultural Liaison
- International airfare to / from Nepal
- Myanmar visa fee
- Any drinks other than complimentary drinks
- Personal equipment
- Trip insurance
- Emergency evacuation if required
- Other personal expenses
- Tips for guides, staff, drivers, etc…
DEPARTURE DATES 2020
November | December | January 5-12
FLEXIBLE DEPARTURE DATES
Don’t see dates that work for you? Contact me to plan dates that fit your schedule.
November – February